Thursday, September 21, 2017

Late Start

For all my millions of blog readers I sincerely apologize!!
I thought about blogging over the summer, but I had my son almost every day that I didn't have Army obligations, which was GREAT!

On August 10 I tore my patella tendon, which put a damper on pretty much everything.  I had surgery on the 11th, and am in the process of recovery. It is very slow, but going well.

As you can imagine, starting the year off in a wheelchair has NOT been easy!  It has taught me a lot of humility and lessons in pride.  I have also used it as a, "I CAN" statement with my students. There is very little I can't do, teaching and coaching football isn't one of them!

STEM this year has started off great! I have a new room (much bigger) that is in the lower elementary portion of our building. This makes the walk for EK, K, and 1 much shorter which is easier on everyone.
I am taking a new approach to getting students excited about the task at hand. I have been using a short story (one about a mouse, one about my soccer playing friend) to engage the students into the "WHY" we are trying to do something. It has worked well so far and made the tasks more problem based and real as opposed to science based which is perfect for younger minds.

The 5th grade has been a BIG switch from last year. For one, they are at the middle school, which means I go to the middle school.  It's the last hour of the day, so it's nice for practice. The other big change in that I now have the same class for 5 days in a row. This has been fantastic because we can get more in-depth with he scientific method. We have been flying paper airplanes in a controlled environment (the hallway) and making hypothesis as to how far they will fly out my window. It has been a lot of fun and a lot of brain activity goes into figuring out what's happening.  It's been great!

I haven't been as active on Twitter (yet) as it's hard for me to get around.  Still...check it out: TWEET

No comments:

Post a Comment